Saturday, April 21, 2012

Queers and Christianity: Notes on Spiritual Injury



I had a hard time coming out as a queer Christian. When I first realized I was gay, I wanted nothing more than to hang on tightly to my Christian faith. I decided that however bad things got with prejudice in my church, I would love God & follow Christ no matter what. It mattered to me. It made sense to me. It was something I cared about, and my sexuality did not change or affect my faith. 


Life didn't work out that way. I won't share the details of the stories, but they were hard & heart-breaking. The way I was treated totally turned me off to the church that I had once adored, as well as to the religion that I had once placed 110% of my hope in. No matter how fake I felt sometimes as I tried to fit in to the church's political ideologies, I had previously believed wholly in Christ & the Bible & the power of prayer. I had believed that God loved everyone. However, when I was treated so poorly, it fractured that faith. 


Here are some of the symptoms of spiritual injury that I experienced. I had an incredibly hard time trusting people, or taking what they said at face value. Even more than before, I read into people's words things that they may or may not have intended. I felt like my faith had to be perfect to "make up" for the fact that I was gay. I hated God. I hated myself, to an extent. I grew excessively proud of my orientation. I found myself obsessed with the concept of myself as a survivor or warrior. There were depression issues: sadness, insomnia, odd eating patterns, intrusive thoughts. The question of, "Does God love me?" haunted me. Prayer was painful and worship, which I once relished, reduced me to tears. I came to youth group and cried in the bathroom or in the corner the entire time. I felt wrong. I felt guilty. I felt unclean. Whether or not "God" existed was a question that was constantly on the tip of my tongue. My fears of mortality came back tenfold.


It wasn't until someone looked me in the eye and told me they were sorry that I had been treated that way, that I honestly realized that what had happened to me was not okay. Lines had been crossed. Good people had said things that were wrong. If it helps you... I know what it's like to be treated like a second-class citizen for displaying who you are, and if you also know that feeling, I am so, so sorry. No one deserves that. It happens, but that doesn't mean it's okay. 



Your faith doesn't have to be challenged by your church. Your sexuality does not have to define who you worship. I'll try to write more on this later, but this is what I want you to know for now: you can be whoever you want, believe whatever you want, and marry whoever you please. Christianity and homosexuality or transgenderism are not incompatible. God loves you. I promise! 

8 comments:

  1. I'm sorry you've been treated that way too, especially by a Christian church. The Bible is FILLED with instances of Christ loving everyone, especially those who are cast out by the rest of the religious culture. As a Christian, I hate it when I see others who follow the same Jesus I do and treat people so badly. We are all sinners, and we're commanded to love each other, not condemn each other. I have a lot of thoughts on this topic, and I'd love to email you about it some time (it might be a while as I'm having a baby some time in the next week). But in the meantime, just know that God truly LOVE LOVE LOVES you, no matter your sexual preference, and I promise you, there are also Christians out there who love you as well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Awh Ashley, thank you so much! If you write to me personally, you can send it to katie.imaginary@gmail.com and then it won't go to the Doodled Rainbow blog e-mail.

      Delete
  2. it's great to hear your side of the story, seems like all i ever hear is the church's side. i definitely do not believe that Christians should persecute anyone. and i believe God loves everyone. thanks for sharing this

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Lexi! I want to post more about being a Christian and gay or transgender, because it's such an important topic. People think they are mutually exclusive, and they're totally not.

      Delete
  3. *big hug!!!* Katye, while I don't have much of a religious background, I know this feeling from other issues in my life - such as OCD, depression, etc. It's... horrible. Plain and simple. I wish so badly I was your friend than! But I am now and you are fabulous - fabULOUS!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Angie -- it's funny to think how different I was back then! You would hardly recognize me, though with your kind heart I think you'd still befriend me, haha. I was pretty depressed, and also just not as grounded as I am now. My head was even MORE in the clouds, if you can believe it! :D

      Delete